Being Crafty To Pass on Generational Wealth!


 Since I was in Farmer Morgans shop class in the 8th grade I have been very crafty. I remember the first craft I made was with hand tools. We each got a piece of Lucite Rod about 3” in diameter. We had to slice off a piece of that rod and then take that slice and turn it into a piece of jewelry. If you have ever sanded plastic you know that dilemma. I cut my piece but my saw meandered a little so I had a lot of sanding just to get it to the right thickness.

The coping saw was the first tool I used with a clamped work piece. I clamped down that piece of Lucite and made the largest heart I could out of it. Cutting with a coping saw in plastic is an odd feeling. But I managed to get it accomplished without a lot of meandering. But there was enough that the sanding was a tremendous job. Today I would throw it on the belt or spindle sander and knock it out in short order. We were not allowed to use power tools in the 8th grade. So hand sanding was the order of the day. I quickly learned the value of a piece of wood with sandpaper wrapped around it.

Now we had to create our jewelry and it could not have any scratches in the final product. That was on all surfaces. Mr. Morgan was very particular about that. Being the crafty, throw it together, and get the job done person that I am, this made it very hard for me to accomplish. It was an exercise in patience that I needed so very much to learn. That lesson has served me well over the years. We were sanding with ever decreasing grits of sand paper till we finally were buffing with a buffing compound by hand, till finally I finished my heart. Then was time to drill the hole for a chain.

Nope, I did not use an electric drill or drill press. I used a Stanley hand cranked drill. I have one out in the shop to this day. I haven’t used it in years but it hangs there proudly. After that it was back to the sanding to get rid of any more scratches caused by the vise or the drill operation. Finally, after maybe 4 weeks of class time, 30 min per day, my prize was complete, B+. Because my creativity was a little lacking and my heart was slightly misshapen. But I was proud of it. I think I still have it around here somewhere. Mr. Morgan is long gone. He was a crusty older guy when he taught me, walked with a stooped back, paddled me a couple of times too. Taught me many a valuable lesson, Orthographic drawings, isometric drawing, precision measurement, and shop safety were all lessons that I have used over and over in life. Thank you Farmer!  

I wanted to pass this craftiness on to my kids. Neither of them are very interested in working that way. My youngest likes to make jewelry and things of that nature. But neither have the patience to say sheetrock and mud a room, they just don’t like that kind of thing. That is just not who they are. They live fast paced lives and that is just the way that is. So what will become of my tools when I am gone? Of course my boys will inherit them. What they do with them is fine by me.

Just a little while back me and my oldest were working on his car. We were changing a wheel bearing. That can be a tough operation without the right tools and pullers. I walked over to the rolling tool box and pulled out a puller that was dads. It took that bearing right out without straining ourselves to death. Generational wealth! I know people hear that term and roll their eyes. But, because dad had that tool he passed it on to me and I used it on my sons car and saved him from a $350 bill at a mechanics shop. It is like dad reached out of the grave and handed him $350. How many of dads tools have I used today and saved me tons of money. The table saw and radial arm saw I am using today were moms. How many projects have I done with them saving me thousands of dollars over the years.

So passing on tools, jewelry, money, property, etc. is the way poor people accumulate wealth. One generation of squander and right back to the bottom the family goes. So it is important to teach your kids these valuable life lessons of patience, self determination, and self sufficiency. Your great-great grandkids depend on it.

I hope this finds you well and you are doing good. Been having some tummy trouble but getting better in hopes of starting gardening and construction soon. Say a prayer for us when you get a chance and we will say one for you. But always remember, Life, Like Homesteading, is a Marathon Not a Sprint – Slow Down and Enjoy the Ride!!   

Be Certain to Visit our Homesteading Channel on Youtube at http://Youtube.com/c/collegehillfarm  as we create and live on a modern homestead like our ancestors before us. Also check out and add your name to follow our weekly blog channel at https://collegehillfarm.blogspot.com so you do not miss our weekly ponderings on the past, present and future and on our Facebook page at  https://www.facebook.com/College-Hill-Farm-295659074295747

Comments

  1. Thank you for the generational knowledge you pass down in your blog and videos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and look forward to them. Inappropriate comments will be deleted.

If you like this blog Click to Follow weekly. We put up a new entry every Wednesday.

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Outhouse - May it Rest In Peace

New Blog Platform

Fall Is Too Hectic. Pausing the Blogs till this Winter.