It's Been A Long Winter


 “Winters a long time going” Bear Claw – Jeremiah Johnson – My favorite movie.  Here it is about to turn March. If you haven’t noticed I try to keep a stack of ponderings ahead for the blog. This will come out the 2nd week of March and I am writing it this 28th day of February. I sometimes do this with the videos. That way I am kind of consistent with having content even when my old body does not want to cooperate. 

This getting old stuff is not for whimps. I talk to my brother regularly on this topic. He is five and a half years older than me and is feeling the effects of his infirmities too. Of course we lament to each other about what ailments are plaguing us and banter back and forth about whether we will outlive dad. My dad died of Black Lung/Silicosis and colon cancer back in 1997. He was only 67 years old. My brother turns 66 this year and I turn 60. So that magical date looms large. Now on dads side of the family counting him and all the men and women I know their average age at death was somewhere around 85. So they were long lived people. Both dads grandmothers lived to be 94 as did his mom. 

Will we be long lived as well? Mom also died of cancer back in 2003 at the age of 69, breast cancer that metastasized to the uterus, lungs and bones. The average age of the folks in moms’ family, not counting her father who was shot and died at 31, is about 74. So we have a good shot at making it into our 70’s. But, being the captain obvious of the pair I often look at my brother and ask a simple question. “How many fat 70 year olds do you know?” Search for your own answer to that question. 

Now I have always been a big guy, left defensive tackle, right side linebacker, and center. When I graduated from high school I weighed 202 pounds and could run, not jog, to the top of the mountain to the 3 mile springs in about 45 minutes. When I graduated from college I was up to 230 as I started my teaching career. By the time my career was winding down I had climbed to a whopping 360lbs, my retirement weight. Crystal and I bought this homestead in 2014 but didn’t move here until January of 2015. Just a couple of Fridays ago I found myself in the ER at the local hospital and my weight was 262 lbs. That is a loss of 98 pounds in 8 years. The homestead lifestyle is healthier for you and may give me that chance to outlive dad. 

I have noticed some things. I cannot do many of the things I did when I moved here. When we bought this property it was a bank foreclosure. The roof was leaking, and the house had fallen into disrepair and the property was overgrown. She needs a coat of paint on the outside, which I started but have not finished. Someone had torn out all the crown moldings and had generally not been friendly to the place. We hand sanded all the floors, laid ceramic tile, resurfaced all the walls – every wall in the place, sheet rocked, added a full bath downstairs, full laundry in the basement, stained and varnished all the floors, rehabbed the porches, redid all the electrical and plumbing. Could I do that today? The answer is Absolutely Not! It is amazing what 8 years did to me from 52 to 60. I have never lamented a birthday like 60. Some folks have a real problem with 40 but 60 has hit me hard. 

This year I am torn. I want to continue to garden and do the stuff I do into my 70’s. I hope when I get to where I can’t do things that I want to do I can just up and die. Dad mowed his grass with his riding mower on a Thursday, had surgery to remove a ruptured colon on Friday, and was dead by next Friday. He didn’t linger and still was able to do what he wanted up till the end.  Again I want to continue gardening, homesteading, prepping, etc. into my 70’s but I am discovering that there is just not as much gas in the tank. Since 2019 I have had all kinds of health problems one after another. Seeing a new doctor and maybe some of that can be resolved. So where is this all going?

Well, this year we are going to try and complete the greenhouse, tractor shed, and goat barn and a new chicken house and garden shed. With these projects on tap the garden has to be paired back some. It is just a matter of energy and ability. Sometimes working solo is tough, especially with these building projects but I love the challenge. It helps to keep me young. Sometimes I don’t feel young the next morning but hey there it is. 

I fear that animals on the farm may not be what I am able to get, other than small animals and small herds. I wanted a milk cow but think I may not be able to do that. Cows are a big deal to take care of and a lot of brute labor. But, my uncle Roy Creech still had mules to plow with when he was 72. So there may be hope yet. You play the cards that life deals you. Never let the Bastard Win!!!! I will keep on working and planning for the future, anything less would be disingenuous to my nature. So send up a little prayer for us and we will send up one for you as we grow old together. Also, remember that Life, Like Homesteading, is a Marathon not a Sprint – Slow Down and Enjoy the Ride!!   

Be Certain to Visit our Homesteading Channel on Youtube at http://Youtube.com/c/collegehillfarm  as we create and live on a modern homestead like our ancestors before us. Also check out and add your name to follow our weekly blog channel at https://collegehillfarm.blogspot.com so you do not miss our weekly ponderings on the past, present and future and on our Facebook page at  https://www.facebook.com/College-Hill-Farm-295659074295747


Comments

If you like this blog Click to Follow weekly. We put up a new entry every Wednesday.

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Outhouse - May it Rest In Peace

New Blog Platform

Fall Is Too Hectic. Pausing the Blogs till this Winter.